Buying property in Switzerland

Notaries and lawyers

If you want to buy a residential or commercial property, you will need the services of a notary from the canton. You may choose the notary.

The following associations will give you detailed information:

  • Chambre des Notaires de Genève (notaries Geneva):
  • Association des Notaires Vaudois (ANV) (notaries Vaud):
  • Ordre des Avocats de Genève - Geneva Bar Association:
  • Ordre des Avocats vaudois (OAV) (lawyers Vaud):

Real estate experts

It is strongly recommended that you consult a real estate professional for an assessment of any property you want to buy. He has the experience and knowledge of the market to prepare a solid financial assessment, and to provide important advice.

Union suisse des professionnels de l'immobilier (USPI) 

Chambre suisse d'experts en estimations immobilières

Staff of permanent missions and of international organisations can find more information on buying property on the web site of the Swiss Mission, in the Practical Manual of the regime of privileges and immunities and other facilities.

See also: Acquisition of real estate by persons abroad (Federal Department of Foreign Affairs)